Have you got an old PC and you want to learn how to transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer you recently bought? Given that Windows license keys are a bit expensive, your best bet is to transfer your old license key. Luckily, Microsoft allows you to transfer Windows 10 license key through your Microsoft account, or you can transfer the key through the slmgr command.
Transfer Windows 10 License to a New Computer
Before you transfer the Windows 10 license to your new PC, there are some points you need to consider. You need to check if your Windows 10 had a retail key. If your Windows 10 license was purchased from an online portal or a physical store, it must have a retail key.
To check for the retail key, press the custom Windows and R keys the same time and type “cmd”. Type in slmgr -and click enter. You’ll see a dialogue box on your screen showing details of the product key and retail key. You can transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer if you see the retail key. You can also fix Windows taskbar not hiding on full-screen problem. Follow these two methods to transfer Windows 10 license.
The Slmgr Command Method
To successfully transfer Windows 10 license to your new PC, you’ll first need to de-activate the license on your old computer before activating it on your new system.
Deactivating Windows 10 on Your Old Computer
- Go to your old system, click the start menu and on the search console type in “cmd”. Select the “Run as administrator” option on your screen.
- Type in “slmgr.vbs /upk” and click on enter on your keyboard to deactivate the Windows 10 license key on your old system.
- After that, you’ll need to execute a second command to remove the license key from Windows registry on your old computer. Type “slmgr.vbs /cpky” in the command prompt.
Activating Windows 10 License on Your New PC
- To activate the product key on your new system, go to the command prompt like you did when deactivating the license key and replace the #####-#####-#####-#####-##### with your real product key. Execute the command to transfer Windows 10 licenses to your new system successfully.
- You can also activate Windows 10 license on your new computer by following this step. Open the search menu, go to Settings, click on the Update & Security tab, select Activation, and click on Change the Product Key. Type in the product key and click enter.
The Microsoft Account Method
Transferring Windows 10 license to your new computer with your Microsoft account is easy and simple. Use these simple steps to transfer and activate your license on your new system.
- Go to your old PC, open Settings and click on Accounts. Your personal information will appear on the screen and click on “Sign in with a Microsoft Account Instead” tab. Input your account details to link up your computer to your Microsoft account.
- When you’re done with the above step, go to Settings, click on Update & Security and select the Activation tab to check if you see the “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.” Information on your screen. If you see it, then proceed to the next step.
- Go to your new system and login with your Microsoft account. Once you’ve signed in, go to Settings, click on Update & Security, then select Activation tab and you’ll notice that your new system has been activated.
You can use any of these two methods to transfer Windows 10 license from your old computer to a new one. Transferring the license helps you save a few bucks and you can enjoy your new device on the same OS.