The crypto space is much bigger than just Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum
There are hundreds of cryptocurrencies available to buy or trade, each with its unique spin on blockchain technology and different intended usage. This page contains our ranking of the 20 cryptocurrencies that show the most potential. Keep an eye on them and work to avoid cryptocurrency scams.
This list takes into account coin value, how many coins are in use, the legitimacy of the individuals behind the creation of each coin, and its general popularity and usability. It’s important to consider all of this information when thinking about investing time or money into a cryptocurrency. After all, a crypto coin that’s worth a lot of money is of no use if it’s not accepted anywhere. Likewise, a coin that has a lot of buzz may be all smoke and mirrors if it never increases in value and is surrounded by controversy.
This information is intended to help educate our readers about the choices available in the cryptocurrency field. It isn’t meant to be interpreted as financial advice. As with all investments, those involved should take responsibility for their buying and selling decisions. No one should spend more than they are willing to lose, especially in a market such as cryptocurrency, which is relatively new and fluctuates massively on a daily basis.
1: Bitcoin Is the King of Crypto
Bitcoin (BTC) may not be as technologically advanced as some of its rivals, like Ethereum. Still, it has something that many of them don’t: brand recognition. Bitcoin is the original cryptocurrency and is well-known in technology circles and also by the general public.
Many people choose to buy Bitcoin because it’s likey the only cryptocoin they’ve heard of. As a result of this popularity, more businesses now accept Bitcoin payments, and it’s significantly easier to convert Bitcoin to traditional or fiat money than other coins.
Bitcoin is to cryptocurrency what the Apple iPhone is to smartphones. It may not technically be the best option, but its head start in the industry resulted in a lot of support from consumers and businesses. It will be hard to beat without significant innovation from the competition.
2 & 3: Runners-Up: Litecoin and Ethereum
Litecoin (LTC) and Ethereum (ETH) are solid second choices to Bitcoin and have grown in popularity mostly due to Coinbase, the most popular place to buy and sell cryptocurrency online, adding them alongside Bitcoin. These cryptocoins feature cheaper and faster transactions than Bitcoin and many Bitcoin ATMs also support them.
Litecoin is based on Bitcoin technology. It is run by different individuals who constantly upgrade it with the latest tech to help it run faster and better. Ethereum is a bit different because it doubles as a programming language on top of its cryptocurrency use. It’s popular with developers, and major companies such as Microsoft have expressed interest in developing Ethereum-based projects.
4-10: Cryptocoins to Keep an Eye On
Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum may be considered “The Big Three” by most people. Still, there are legitimate crypto rivals on the horizon that have gained traction and could give them a run for their money. Here are seven with the biggest potential:
- Dash: Dash (DASH) launched in 2014 as a blockchain-powered, decentralized, digital cash alternative to PayPal. From its cool logo to its apps and integration with numerous merchants and services, Dash is a cryptocurrency that aims to make the technology approachable to the average consumer.
- Monero: Monero (XMR) is often referred to as the privacy coin because transactions on its blockchain are more difficult to track than with Bitcoin and other cryptocoins. Monero’s technology makes it difficult to integrate Monero into cryptocurrency software and hardware wallets, but that hasn’t stopped investors and casual users from checking it out.
- OMG Network: OMG Network (OMG) is a financial solution based on the Ethereum blockchain and technology. It allows businesses to process payments from a variety of crypto and fiat (traditional) currencies in both a quick and affordable nature. It is already being implemented in some major businesses, such as McDonald’s, in several Asian countries. There is a lot of support behind OMG Network, with an impressive list of advisors and companies such as SBI Investors and SMBC investing in it.
- Ripple: Ripple (XRP) is a blockchain solution designed for major financial institutions to increase security and transaction speed while reducing the associated fees. Over 75 major financial institutions such as Westpac, MUFG, UBS, and American Express have begun working with Ripple.
- Zcash: This cryptocoin is a direct rival to Bitcoin, Litecoin, and other traditional cryptocurrencies. It aspires to become a mainstream payment option for consumers. Zcash (ZEC) provides more security and privacy than Bitcoin, but most people interested in such features usually prefer to use Monero.
- BCash/Bitcoin Cash: Bitcoin Cash (BCH) gets a lot of publicity and is often one of the most valuable cryptocurrencies on the market. It’s important to understand that Bitcoin Cash has no connection to Bitcoin, despite its name, and that it is a controversial coin due to many people behind its creation promoting it as “the real Bitcoin.” This misinformation has resulted in new investors mistakenly buying Bitcoin Cash instead of Bitcoin. Many services now refer to it as BCash to limit the amount of confusion around it. With more people educating themselves on cryptocurrency, it’s unclear how popular Bitcoin Cash will remain going forward.
- Steem: Steemit is a decentralized blogging platform. Steem (STEEM) is the cryptocurrency that’s rewarded to users for posting, commenting, upvoting, and sharing content on Steemit.
11-20: Cryptocurrencies With Potential
The following cryptocurrencies may not have made it into our Top 10 most-interesting coins, but they still have potential and could quickly rise up the list if given the proper support.
- Dogecoin: This cryptocoin is a basic coin used for making payments. The Dogecoin (DOGE) technology will have a hard time competing with the likes of Litecoin and Bitcoin. However, its logo, that of the popular meme featuring a Shiba Inu, has done a great job of attracting users to its platform. Dogecoin is definitely the most fun cryptocurrency.
- Golem: Golem (GNT) is a project that aims to make cloud computing decentralized. Essentially, entire websites and services will be hosted on users’ computers. Those who opt-in to provide their computer to be part of the service will be rewarded with the Golem token (or coin).
- SALT: SALT (SALT) is a blockchain-powered loan platform where users deposit their various cryptocurrencies and receive a real-world money loan.
- NEO: NEO (NEO) is a Chinese cryptocurrency that had a rough start due to mainland China’s constantly changing stance on cryptocoins. NEO eventually recovered. Many see it as a coin that could be huge in China if the country ever bans other cryptocoins.
- IOTA: IOTA (IOTA, MIOTA) is a blockchain-powered marketplace for providing and selling data. The IOTA service is quite niche, but its cryptocoin has garnered a fair bit of buzz from the crypto community.
- EOS: This cryptocurrency is a direct competitor to Ethereum and promises to process payments with zero fees, which would be a first for a cryptocoin. It’s unclear if EOS (EOS) can compete with the massive popularity of Ethereum.
- Stellar: Stellar (XLM) is an open-source blockchain project that aims to revolutionize the banking industry with faster and cheaper international payments.
- TRON/TRONIX: The TRON project aims to decentralize entertainment and offer a distribution method that benefits creators and consumers by protecting copyright and reducing costs. TRON’s cryptocoin is TRONIX (TRX). It, along with other coins, can be used to purchase content and services on the network.
- Civic: This secure identity database has garnered a lot of media attention due to its potential for creating a global database for storing and sharing personal and medical data in a secure and decentralized way. Civic (CVC) has found a niche for itself in the crowded crypto space and has few rivals.
- USD Coin: USD Coin (USDC) is an Ethereum-powered stablecoin that was created to work as an alternative to the traditional U.S. dollar. Being a stablecoin, its value will always be equal to that of the U.S. dollar, making it a less risky investment than other cryptocurrencies that function independently of mainstream finance.