Telegram is an instant messaging app that, like similar apps such as Viber, WhatsApp, and LINE, gives you a simple, accessible way to communicate with all of your contacts. The main difference between them is that Telegram also offers you increased security and privacy., With Telegram, you can create group chats with up to 200 people so you can stay connected with everyone at once. Plus, you can share videos up to 1GB, send multiple photos from the web, and forward any media you receive in an instant. All your messages are in the cloud, so you can easily access them from any of your devices.
Telegram’s security options allow you to create private chats with other users, which means that your conversations with them are completely encrypted and aren’t saved or stored on Telegram’s servers. And you can activate a ‘self-destruct’ feature so that your messages are erased every X amount of time., For those interested in maximum privacy, we’ve added Secret Chats, featuring end-to-end encryption to ensure that a message can only be read by its intended recipient. When it comes to Secret Chats, nothing is logged on our servers and you can automatically program Enter your state here messages to self-destruct from both devices so there is never any record of it.
Aside from those privacy features, Telegram offers basically the same service as any other instant messaging system: group chats, file sharing, personalized notifications, etc., We built Telegram to make messaging safe again so you can take back your right to privacy.
Telegram is an instant messaging tool that shares many similarities – including its appearance – with WhatsApp. Still, the additional privacy that it provides could be very attractive to many people. Don’t want conversations with certain contacts to be saved? Set them to self-destruct after ten seconds, and you’re all set!
Telegram messages are heavily encrypted and can self-destruct.
Telegram lets you access your messages from multiple devices.
Telegram delivers messages faster than any other application.
Telegram servers are spread worldwide for security and speed.
Telegram has an open API and protocol free for everyone.
Telegram is free forever. No ads. No subscription fees.
Telegram keeps your messages safe from hacker attacks.
Telegram has no limits on the size of your media and chats.
We Can do It!
Help make messaging safe again – spread the word about Telegram.
We hope everybody had a great celebration. We at Telegram certainly did. One of our engineers got so excited about the new year that he mistakenly shared awful stickers with his Mom. To fix this, he quickly added a way to unsend recently sent messages. This smart move saved his morning, and it can still save yours! If you use Telegram v.3.16 or later, you can now unsend any weird messages you shared within the last 48 hours.
The holiday season is in high swing in many parts of the world, so we figured some of you folks are busy traveling. If that’s the case, you may want to check out the new Network Usage section that shows exactly how much data you consumed while in roaming or wi-fi or whatever. Don’t forget to hop on the hotel wifi before any serious Telegramming in foreign lands. And remember that you can toggle automatic media download in Telegram Settings.
This is the perfect season to meet new people. Want to give them some contact information, but a phone number seems like too much? That’s exactly the reason we added usernames and Telegram.me links waaay back in 2014.
Starting today, you can use t.me instead of telegram.me. Take a napkin, write t.me/username in no time, and give it to someone before they can get away.
This also works with channels: t.me/telegram
Public groups: t.me/snowballfight
And stickers: t.me/addstickers/NickSantini
Android Developers Never Sleep
85% of Telegram users are on Android. Our CEO is worried that, if ignored, this Android population can start a rebellion and dethrone him. To please the mob, he made us introduce the following features to the Android app:
Messages from one sender are now neatly grouped together, and scrolling up shows the date right away, making the chats easier to navigate.
The app now restores your previous scroll position when you switch back to a chat. Very useful when somebody sends you a saga in 1,000 messages, and you want to patiently read them in the right order.
- Sharing files (a feature we had since forever) has become easier because you see a list of recently downloaded files right on the sharing screen.
- We now support GBoard, the Google keyboard that can apparently send cat GIFs.
- And for those 2 users that already have Android 7.1 installed, we are happy to announce that we’ve added a fast action menu with frequent chats to your home screen. All hail the early adopters!
- Back to the important stuff: the cowboy, the clown, and the sick face emoji (also known as the ‘exfoliating green tea mask face’ emoji) have found their way to Android. We support all of them now.
- What do these emoji mean? When are you supposed to use them? Is the singular form of ‘emoji’ in fact ‘emojus’? To answer all these questions with utmost accuracy, we’ve also added support for the question emoji.
- macOS version updated to 6.1.2
- Android version updated to 6.1.1
Chat Folders and More
- Organize chats into Chat Folders if you have too many chats.
- Create custom folders with flexible settings, or use default recommendations.
- Pin an unlimited number of chats in each folder.
- Swipe between folders to easily access all of your chats.
- View detailed statistics about the growth of your channels and the performance of their posts.
- Send :dice: to any chat to try your luck and get a random number from the animated dice.
- Hold the ‘Send’ button to schedule messages in any chat and reminders in ‘Saved Messages’.
- Customize your app’s appearance by choosing accent colors for the ‘Mono’ and ‘Dark’ themes.
- Create new themes based on your color and wallpaper choices.
- Share your themes via links and update them for all users when you change something.
- Choose who can find you on Telegram by your phone number.
- Send a single ????, ????, ????, ????, ???? or ???? to get more animated emoji.
- Added download link for Windows Portable
- Telegram for Android has now reached version 5.0 and received a major overhaul in the design department. It is now much easier to access shared media from the profiles of users, groups and channels.
- Custom languages. Crowdsource a cloud-based language pack for Telegram using our Translations platform – then apply it in real time.
- Instant View 2.0. View web pages instantly with support for more types of content.
- New design for profiles, notifications and sounds, and general settings. Profile pages offer quick access to shared media.
- Crisp previews, increased loading speed and more info in shared content sections.
- Swipe navigation when viewing image documents.
Previous release notes:
Secret chats are meant for people who want more secrecy than the average fella. All messages in secret chats use end-to-end encryption. This means only you and the recipient can read those messages — nobody else can decipher them, including us here at Telegram (more on this here). On top of this, Messages cannot be forwarded from secret chats. And when you delete messages on your side of the conversation, the app on the other side of the secret chat will be ordered to delete them as well.
You can order your messages, photos, videos and files to self-destruct in a set amount of time after they have been read or opened by the recipient. The message will then disappear from both your and your friend’s devices.
All secret chats in Telegram are device-specific and are not part of the Telegram cloud. This means you can only access messages in a secret chat from their device of origin. They are safe for as long as your device is safe in your pocket.
Themes, Multiple Accounts and More:
- Introducing Multiple Accounts on Android and Themes on iOS in Version 4.7.
- Happy winter holidays, everyone! To reinforce the festive mood, we‘re updating Telegram for the second time this December, adding features you’ve been asking for.
- With version 4.7 for iOS, you can change what your Telegram looks like in the new Appearance settings. Choose between four different themes, including a minimalistic one (“Day”) and two dark themes (“Night” and “Night Blue”). The “Day” theme also allows you to pick an accent color for the entire app, like pink or purple.
- The Android app already supported multiple themes, so it had to go further with 4.7 by supporting multiple accounts. You can add up to three accounts with different phone numbers to your Telegram app, and then quickly switch between them from the side menu. Notifications will keep coming from all accounts, unless you change this in the Notification settings.
- Telegram now supports quick replies on both mobile platforms. To use them, just swipe left on any message in a chat.