Use the shoppable posts feature to boost sales of your products – How to Sell on Instagram
Once an Instagram account has been connected to a Facebook shop, products can be individually tagged within Instagram posts. Here’s how to sell items on Instagram by activating Shoppable tags on your Instagram posts.
An Instagram account cannot connect to a Facebook Marketplace listing. The shoppable posts feature only works with stores hosted within a Facebook business page.
How to Sell Products on Instagram
Once you have your Instagram Business account set up and an active Facebook shop on your Facebook business page, you’re ready to link all three together and begin making shoppable posts on Instagram.
Open the Facebook Products Catalog web page and select the name of the Facebook shop you want to sell from on Instagram.
- Select Settings.
- Select Connect next to Business Manager Account.
- Choose a Facebook account from the drop-down menu that you want to manage your Facebook shop and select Connect.
Open the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device.
Tap the menu icon in the upper-right corner.
Tap Settings > Business.
Tap Sign up for shopping.
Tap Submit for Review. Instagram staff will personally review your application and either approve or reject it within a few days. You’ll receive a notification within the Instagram app once the decision has been made.
Once approved, you can add product links. Tap the new Tag Products field when creating a new Instagram post, then type in the product’s name. It works in much the same way as when tagging other people in an Instagram post.
Products must be approved and live on your Facebook page before you can tag them on Instagram.
What You’ll Need to Sell on Instagram
Creating a shop on Instagram is a little more complex than just manually entering a product name, description, and link. Before you can get started, you’ll need to have the following:
- An Instagram Business account: You can switch to an Instagram Business account at any time, just tap Settings > Account > Switch to Business Account.
- A Facebook business page: A Facebook business page can be created for free by anyone on Facebook.
- An active shop on your Facebook business page: This can be a shop you’ve manually created yourself or a Facebook shop powered by Shopify.
What Can’t You Sell on Instagram?
Instagram shops are primarily intended for selling physical products, not services. The sale of all products must also comply with the laws and regulations of their base country and that which the merchandise is being sent to.
The following products are banned on Instagram:
- Drugs or medicines
- Tobacco and tobacco-related products
- Health supplements and healthcare products
- Guns or other weapons, ammunition, and explosives
- Human or animal body parts
- Digital products and services
- Money, digital money, or cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin
It’s important to read through the official Instagram policies. Violating them, unintentionally or otherwise, may get your Instagram shop or account disabled.
Other Ways to Sell Stuff on Instagram Without a Store
If you don’t have an online store on Facebook and have no interest in setting one up, you can still sell products and services on Instagram by promoting them in a Facebook post and placing a link to where your followers can purchase your item on your Instagram profile.
Another good strategy for selling things on Instagram is to post a photo or video of your product in an Instagram Story. If you have over 10,000 followers, you’re also able to add a link to your Story, which your followers can visit by swiping up on the screen.
Try adding music to youmr Instagram Story to really get the attention of your followers.