A Full Review of Patch My PC, a Free Software Updater
Unlike similar programs that usually just check for software updates, Patch My PC is a free software updater tool that can do not only that, but also actually install the patches for you, and do it automatically!
Even if you don’t want to use the automatic update feature, all you have to do is select one button to immediately being downloading and installing all the updates it can find.
- Very simple to use.
- Supports bulk downloads and installs.
- Can check for updates on a schedule.
- Shows you all the supported programs.
- Able to update all (or specific) programs automatically.
- Doesn’t need to be installed (portable software).
- Includes lots of custom options.
- Updates to Patch My PC are released frequently.
- The interface looks outdated.
This review is of Patch My PC Updater version 188.8.131.52, which was released April 9, 2021.
More About Patch My PC
- Works on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and probably older versions of Windows, too
- All software updates are done from within the Patch My PC program, which means you don’t need to look for download links or open any of the download pages in your web browser
- Outdated programs are distinguished from updated ones by their red title, while up-to-date programs are shown in green
- Updates are performed silently so you don’t need to click any buttons or go through any sort of update wizard
- Patch My PC will find updates for over 400 programs—installable and portable alike (complete list here), including security software plus other tools like iTunes, QuickTime, Skype, Wise Registry Cleaner, Java, 7-Zip, various web browsers, and more
- The scheduler feature can be set up to run at any time as day and as often as every day or as infrequently as every month; it can run updates silently or visibly
- One option can be enabled to make Patch My PC create a Restore Point before updating programs
- Beta software can also be found so long as the option to do so is enabled in the tool’s options
- Installer files can optionally be kept even after you’ve closed the program, but the default option is to remove them after they’ve been used to update the software
- The silent install feature can be disabled so that you can install updates manually like you would if you didn’t use Patch My PC
- It can force-quit a program before updating it
- It can also be used as a free program uninstaller
- The settings you change can be exported and then imported at a different time or on a different computer so that all your custom options are always the same no matter where you use the program
Thoughts on Patch My PC
Patch My PC is what you think of when you think of a program updater, or what one should do. You can set up a schedule to automatically download and install outdated software every day or every week. It’s exactly what you’re probably after.
Other software updater tools might very well check for updates on a schedule, or they may even download multiple updates at the same time, but there aren’t many that will actually check for outdated software, download the required patches, and install them for you, all without you ever having to touch your mouse.
On this same note, you never even see a download link, or even a download page, because Patch My PC does everything behind the scenes. If you can’t tell already, we really, really like this tool.
We also like that you can know exactly which programs it supports updating, all without having to wonder why it’s not updating a program or two that you know for sure are outdated. You can just look through this list on their website to see what applications are supported.