Ahead of the release of iOS 12 within the next couple of weeks, Apple is sending out a notification to iOS 11 users using the Tips app about some of the new features in iOS 12
Apple is sending out a variety of tips to users depending on their region. These tips highlight new iOS 12 features like improved performance, Memoji, Grouped notifications, and more.
Apple is essentially trying to create awareness among users about the upcoming new features in iOS 12. The company has in the past used its Tips app to send out notifications to users about its new products or software releases.
On its September 12 event, Apple is expected to announce some new iOS 12 features that will be exclusive to the 2018 iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
Some of the new features in iOS 12 are:
- Better Performance: Apple is working to improve the overall performance of iOS 12 on all the devices it can be installed on, including the older handsets. That includes boosted performance for opening the Share Sheet, for instance, or seeing up to 70 percent better performance in certain scenarios on devices like the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple says these performance boosts will be present on all devices that iOS 12 can be installed on, and the company is “doubling down” on performance with this latest iOS release.
- Animoji and Memoji: Apple is introducing four new Animoji characters, including a T-Rex, ghost, and tiger. The biggest new addition is what the company calls Memoji, allowing users to quickly turn themselves into an Animoji with a variety of customization options as well.
- ARKit 2.0: Apple is also introducing an update to ARKit, which will bring new features for the augmented reality framework. It brings with it more dynamic range for tracking items in the camera, as well as being able to play multiplayer games with up to four people. Support for 3D object detection and persistent.
Starting a game built around a physical toy, or a physical classroom serving as a starting and continuation point for lessons. Shared experiences in ARKit 2.0, allowing for real-time multiplayer games.
- Photos: Apple is improving the Photos experience in iOS 12, making search better and faster, with the ability to search for places and much more. The new app is also getting a faster way to share content, with the app recommending people to share the photos or videos with based on facial recognition. And, after those images are shared, Photos will work with the receiver to find if they have photos of the same event to share back.
- Siri: Apple’s digital personal assistant is getting some improvements, including Shortcuts. This will give automation workflow to users, allowing for simple statements like “Heading home” to serve up a variety of different commands, including starting a podcast or Apple Music playlist, offering up directions, notifying a contact, and much more.
- Apple Books: Apple is changing iBooks to Apple Books, and tweaking the overall experience as well
- Apple News, Stocks, and Voice Memos: These apps are finally making the jump over to the Mac
- Grouped Notifications: iOS 12 is finally adding support for grouped notifications, so multiple notifications from a single app would be merged into one for better usability. Notifications are also getting other improvements. You can now send notifications from the lock screen to the notification center, with Siri now recommending you to disable notifications from apps that you don’t use.
The final release of iOS 12 to the public is expected to occur in the third week of September just before the 2018 iPhones go on sale. The update will bring about massive performance improvements to older iPhones and iPads along with many usability improvements. It will be available as a free upgrade for iPhone 5s and up.