Powering down your iPhone is pretty simple: You hold down the On/Off button and slide to power off. But what do you do if your On/Off button stops working? Your first step is to check if you’re still under warranty! If you’re still covered, you can get that On/Off button replaced — likely free of charge — at an Apple Store. Apple has a special support page that’ll let you check your device’s coverage. There are, however, still a few physical buttons that remain: the volume buttons and the Power button.
If your warranty has expired or you just need to get the darn thing powered down, you can use AssistiveTouch to get on-screen controls that’ll let you power down your device. There are some handy new features in iOS 11 that aren’t very sexy, but can be really useful when needed. One of these new features is the ability to power down your iPhone without the sleep/wake power button
How to activate AssistiveTouch and power down your iPhone
- Open Settings > General > Accessibility.
- Scroll down to AssistiveTouch and tap AssistiveTouch and tap the toggle to turn it ON. The toggle will be green when the feature is enabled in iOS 7.
- A small dark square with a white circle in the middle should now appear at the edge your screen. You can drag this square icon to a convenient location on your screen.
- Tap the circle icon to open the AssistiveTouch menu and then tap “Device” to access the device-specific commands as shown in the image at the top of the page.
- You will see an icon for “Lock Screen” as shown in the image at the top of the page. Tap this once if you want to lock the screen of your iPhone. Tap and hold if you want to activate the iPhone’s power-off slider.
Now that your iPhone is sleep mode, just tap the home button to wake it up. If you turned off your iPhone using the power-off slider button, you will need to plug in the device using your charging cable in order to power it back on.
We hope that these steps were helpful. Check out our how to guide for more help getting the most out of your Apple devices. You might also like: