How to install iOS 11.1 using Software Update on your iPhone or iPad
If you’re eager to get it up and running on your iPhone, you’re not the only one. But first, you need to make sure your device is capable of running it. iOS 11 is only compatible with 64-bit devices, meaning 32-bit devices like the iPhone 5 won’t get the update; 32-bit apps will also stop working on devices with iOS 11.
To see which of your installed apps are compatible with iOS 11, go to your iPhone, open the Settings menu, and tap General > About > Applications > App Compatibility.
Assuming you have an iOS 11-compatible device, you’re ready to install iOS 11. But keep in mind that you might run into problems. Apple typically issues bug-squashing patches after major software releases, so if you’re worried about your iPhone’s day-to-day stability, it might be best to hold off for now.
The easiest way for most people to download iOS 11.0.3 is over-the-air, directly on their device. It’s fast, it’s efficient, and it’s simple to do.
- Make sure you have a recent iCloud backup.Here’s how to back up an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud:
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings, select your name, and tap iCloud. (If you’re using iOS 10.2 or later, scroll down and tap iCloud.)
- Tap iCloud Backup. (If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Backup.) Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- To make sure that the backup completed, open Settings, tap on your name > iCloud > iCloud Storage > Manage Storage, and select you device. If you’re using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage and select your device from the list.
- Launch Settings from your Home screen.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your Passcode, if prompted.
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap Agree again to confirm.
The download will begin automatically. If the download does not begin right away, you may see a notice: “Preparing to download.” Give it a couple of minutes and the download will begin shortly.