Use your Dot as a Bluetooth speaker and more
- Open Settings > Bluetooth > Turn on Bluetooth, and select Your Echo Dot.
- You may need to say, “Alexa, pair” to activate pairing mode.
- Your Echo Dot can act as a wireless speaker and use Alexa voice commands to control playback.
Can Amazon Echo Connect to iPhone? Echo Dot to an iPhone
Apple operates a closed ecosystem, and that sometimes limits the sorts of devices that you can use with your iPhone. There are no such limits for Amazon Echo devices, which means you can connect an Echo Dot to an iPhone just like any other compatible Bluetooth speaker. The process is the same you would use to pair any device to your iPhone via Bluetooth, and you can manage the connection through the notification center or control center.
Here’s how to connect an Echo Dot to an iPhone:
Set up your Echo Dot if you haven’t yet done so.
Open Settings on your iPhone.
Tap the Bluetooth slider to turn it on if it isn’t already on.
Wait for the Echo Dot to show up in My Devices or Other Devices.
For some Echo devices, you will need to say “Alexa, pair” for it to show up.
Tap the Echo Dot.
Your iPhone will connect to your Echo Dot via Bluetooth.
How Does Echo Dot Work With iPhone?
Echo Dot works primarily as a wireless Bluetooth speaker when you connect one to an iPhone. When you connect an iPhone to an Echo Dot and then stream music from Apple Music or any other app, the audio will come from the Echo Dot instead of the iPhone. If you connected the Echo Dot to another speaker via its audio out cable, your music will play from that speaker.
If you’ve connected to more than one Bluetooth speaker, wireless earbuds, or any other audio device, you can easily switch to the Echo Dot and back again:
Open the control center on your iPhone.
You can also do this from the notification center if audio is currently playing on your phone.
Tap the AirPlay icon (triangle with concentric circles).
Tap your Echo Dot in the Speakers & TVs list.
To switch to your iPhone speakers, tap iPhone.
To switch to any other Bluetooth speaker or earbuds, tap that device instead.
What Else Can an Echo Dot Do With an iPhone?
The primary reason to connect an Echo Dot to an iPhone is to use the Dot, or its connected speaker, instead of your iPhone’s speakers. There are a few other ways you can use an Echo Dot with an iPhone, though, and they don’t all require a Bluetooth connection.
Here are some other things you can do with a connected Echo Dot and iPhone:
- Control audio playback: When you listen to music on your iPhone via your Echo Dot, say, “Alexa, Pause,” to pause the music. You can also resume, adjust the audio, and skip to the next track with audio commands.
- Send and receive calls and messages: With your iPhone connected to your Dot and Alexa, you can say, “Alexa, call (contact)” to place a phone call.
- Manage your appointments: Connect your iCloud calendar to Alexa, and you can access the same ones from your Dot and your iPhone.
- Find your phone: Install the Find My Phone Alexa Skill, and you can ask your Echo Dot to locate your iPhone when you misplace it.
How do I connect an Echo Dot to Wi-Fi on my iPhone?
Connect your Echo to Wi-Fi when setting up the device. Plug in your Dot, open the Alexa app and select Continue in the app when you see the orange light on the top of the Dot. Next, open your iPhone’s Wi-Fi settings and look for and connect to the network related to your device. Once you’ve connected to the device, follow the Alexa app instructions to connect to your preferred Wi-Fi network.
How do I connect an Echo Dot to my iPhone hotspot?
In the Alexa app, go to your Device Settings and select Change next to the Wi-Fi network. Follow the app instructions to put your Dot in setup mode and rescan for networks. Select Use this device as a Wi-Fi hotspot and enter your iPhone’s hotspot credentials. Learn more about Alexa and Wi-Fi connectivity.