A full review of Driver Booster, a free driver updater tool
Driver Booster is a free driver updater program for Windows that checks for outdated drivers for your hardware on a routine basis, and even downloads and updates all the drivers with one click! Driver Booster can identify, backup, and fix outdated, missing, or incorrect drivers on your computer.
Outdated drivers may heavily affect your PC performance and lead to system crashes. Driver Booster Free, designed with IObit’s most advanced driver update technology, scans and identifies outdated drivers automatically, and downloads and installs the right update for you with just ONE click, saving you loads of time. Here is the best software to update your drivers automatically. Driver Booster provides a simple way to update drivers for Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
Every driver package is downloaded directly through the program and batch downloading makes it easy to get multiple device driver updates with one click.
Moreover, this driver updater is specially designed to tweak drivers for better gaming performance and ensure better PC performance by enhancing updating security with Restore, Uninstall & Rollback features. It’s the right driver update tool to protect your PC from hidden security vulnerabilities, hardware failures, conflicts, and system crashes. Fast & Free Update Drivers in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista & XP! Most Powerful Driver updater to Keep Drivers Up-to-date.
Driver Booster Capabilities
Driver Booster boasts an impressive list of attributes:
- Works with Windows 10, Windows 8, Window 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
- Millions of device drivers are supported
- Definitions for those devices update automatically and frequently, meaning there’s no need to manually update the program every time a new driver is added to the database
- A driver’s version number, size, and release date are clearly displayed next to each driver that needs to be updated (in the Driver Details window), helping to identify the size and age of a new driver before it gets updated
- The list of outdated drivers can be exported to a TXT file, which includes the device name, class, vendor, current and available version, hardware ID, and compatible ID
- Installation windows and other pop-ups are hidden to make installation as easy and quick as possible
- The list of drivers found in Driver Booster are labeled according to the severity of the update, two examples being Extremely Old and Old
- The computer can be set up to automatically reboot or shut down when the installation is finished
- Drivers that are already up to date are also shown, but in a separate section from the outdated ones.
- The number of days since you last scanned with Driver Booster is shown on the main screen.
- It also checks for outdated game components, like Microsoft DirectX Runtime
- An option in the settings lets you have the program auto-delete driver packages after they’ve been used for an installation, which is an easy way to make sure it’s not collecting useless junk files
- Tools is a section that includes some tools for fixing sound errors, correcting network failures, cleaning up data related to unplugged devices, and fixing resolution issues by cleaning up driver data. There’s also a “system information” area that shows details about the computer and operating system
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use driver updater, Driver Booster is likely your best bet. In our testing, we didn’t encounter errors with downloads, and installs have never caused problems like BSOD errors or bricked hardware.
The updates aren’t launched in a web browser, so you don’t have to download these drivers manually like you might have to with other driver updater tools. That’s far too much of a hassle that might even deter some from updating their drivers, and it can sometimes lead to clicking the incorrect download link.
The program is unable to scan correctly unless an active internet connection is established (some driver updaters don’t need a network connection to scan). It will look like it’s working, but without network access, it will simply scan without using any factual update information, which results in displaying an incorrect set of updates (or none at all).
Because there’s also a professional version of Driver Booster, some features are limited in the free version. For example, more driver updates are found in the professional program and features like automatically downloading and backing up drivers, and automatic program updates, aren’t options in the free edition.
Most notably, the app adds a brand new feature, Boost, to bring users the best gaming experience by boosting the system with 1-click. Moreover, the 7 useful tools in the program help users to restore the system, view system information and fix the common but bothersome problems such as no sound, network failure, bad resolution, and device error.
In summary, the tool not only updates outdated device drivers & game components and helps fix common but tricky problems to increase the system compatibility & stability, but also boosts system for a better gaming experience.
Features and Highlights
Update 4,500,000+ Drivers
Without proper device drivers, your computer may not work normally. And update drivers in the Windows system is always a bummer. With a 300% larger database, the program supports updating over 4,500,000+ drivers and fixing missing/faulty/outdated driver issues. You can easily update Intel driver/Realtek ethernet controller/wireless LAN/network/HD Audio Drivers, Intel Audio/HD Graphics/WLAN/LAN/chipset/rapid storage technology/USB 3.0 Drivers, Nvidia drivers and all important driver packages by Microsoft.
Secure Driver Update
The software only supports drivers that have passed the WHQL test. HTTPS connection is newly adopted to encrypt your connection with the server while downloading drivers. To guarantee a higher level of computer safety, Driver Booster for PC also creates a restore point before installing a driver in the event something goes wrong with the installation. Driver backup is also there to help when facing compatible issues.
No Sluggish Gaming
Updated graphic drivers often give major performance improvements, particularly for new games. You can always get the latest graphic drivers for smoother streaming and media editing with the tool. Moreover, most popular game components such as Game for windows software 3.5, XML 6.0, Silverlight 5, and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable can be found for game launching.
Auto Download, Install & Update
Updating drivers always costs a lot of time, sometimes even affects your daily work. The app expanded its automatic service, besides auto download you can also enjoy auto-install an update while the system is idle. Just let DriverBooster runs in the background, you would enjoy better pc performance with up-to-date drivers.
Note: Limited functionality in demo free version. Driver Booster Free allows you to perform driver updates but lacks a number of features only found in the Driver Booster Pro version.
Watch carefully what you’re clicking during the initial install. You might be asked to add another program to your computer that’s unrelated to driver updating.