Quickly determine your MacBook’s available storage space; How To Check MacBook Storage
Whether you’ve received an alert that “your startup disk is almost full” or you’re just curious about how much space you have left on your computer, knowing how to check your Mac storage can come in handy; How To Check MacBook Storage.
Apple products are designed to allow you to access many key insights that will give you a look into the inner-workings of your computer. Some of this may seem complex at first, but it really is straightforward to figure out.
One of these key insights that are good to know is how to check the storage capacity of your MacBook Pro.
This will let you know how much room you have on your computer to keep any type of file and data you wish. This could be photos, videos, games, apps or any other piece of data that you want to store directly on the computer.
This article explains how to find out how much available storage space you have on your MacBook hard drive; Check MacBook Storage. The information in this article applies to MacBooks running macOS 10.15 (Catalina) and newer.
What To Know
- Right-click the icon for your hard drive on the desktop, click Get Info, and find the Available line in the pop-up.
- You can also click the Apple menu > About This Mac, and then click the Storage tab.
- You can also open a Finder window, click the View menu, click Show Status Bar, and then look for Available at the bottom of the window.
How To Check Storage on MacBook: Get Info on Hard Drive Icon
To check the available storage on your MacBook using your hard drive icon, follow these steps:
On your MacBook’s desktop, right-click (or control-click) on the hard drive’s icon.
Click Get Info.
- In the pop-up window, the Available line lists how much storage your MacBook has.
How To Check MacBook Storage: About This Mac
You can also check the storage on your MacBook from the built-in About This Mac tool by following these steps:
Click the Apple menu.
Click About This Mac.
- In the pop-up window, click the Storage tab.
- Hover your mouse over the blank section of the bar chart, or look at the text above, to find your available storage.
How To Check MacBook Storage: Finder Status Bar
Want to be able to check your MacBook storage all the time, without needing to do anything? You can, by changing one small setting in the Finder. Here’s what to do:
Open a new Finder window.
Click the View menu at the top of the screen.
Click Show Status Bar.
- At the bottom of the Finder window, the status bar appears, listing how much available storage space you have.
How To Check MacBook Storage: Disk Utility
Every MacBook comes with a program called Disk Utility pre-installed. Disk Utility is a tool for fixing problems with your hard drive, erasing and reformatting the hard drive for major software troubleshooting, and when you’re going to sell your MacBook, and more. It can also help you check your MacBook storage. Here’s what to do:
Open Disk Utility.
- In the main Disk Utility window, you can find your available storage in the Available section towards the bottom or in the bar chart at the top.